Monday, March 24, 2014

The Dreaded Scale.

Hi everyone!
This is kind of an impromptu post, only because I planned to do it another day but looking at my schedule I can't really find the time other than now.
I wanted to sit down and type something you've heard before, not because I'm unoriginal, but because I think no matter how many times you see it, it doesn't always click.
Weight doesn't matter. I'm writing this on a health/fitness blog and even mention the fact that I've lost weight, and I'm saying this. To hold my own on this, I'm going to reflect on the year 2014 diet wise for myself.
I started my nutrition class that turned my diet upside down. All of a sudden red meat wasn't scary anymore, as long as it was grass fed, and butter (without preservatives or additives) is better to cook in than oils, and the list could go on forever and a day. Honestly I plan to make separate blogs just on what I've learned, but those are two ways of showing how crazy, almost unthinkable things when you're trying to lose weight worked for me, and still are.
Now to stay on the topic of weight, let's talk about how this food as affected my life. Notice I'm not just saying my body, but my existence in general. I feel better, I actually have energy, I'm not starving every two hours, my workouts are so much better, and in general life is good when I stay on track with this.
Guess what eating like this and the better workouts caused? A weight gain, and a pretty substantial one in my eyes now that my body has gotten smaller, at about 5 or 6 pounds. I freaked out. I didn't understand how my weight went up even though I know in the back of my mind it's muscle, it's muscle, it's muscle.
It's a hard thing in a society where weight matters so much to believe that even when you know it's true, especially being a girl in her twenties.
It took a lot of talking to friends that workout and I trust with these insecurities to talk me into the fact that if I feel better and I'm making healthy decisions this shouldn't matter. You know what matters to me? As I said before, I feel so much better on a daily basis. And a pair of jeans I could barely button are fitting just a little bit better, and jeans that fit perfectly at one point are starting to fall off a little.
Now I'm not saying I was fat/overweight/etc. before at all, and I'm not hating on myself for what I put into my body before because I'm still not perfect, but it's a really cool thing to see and feel the changes.

What I hope to encourage is is if you're trying to lose weight, don't obsess over weight, just don't. Honestly, obsessing over anything isn't necessarily good because, at least for a person like me, it becomes something that really messes me up if I don't get it perfect and I'm really hard on myself.
To go with the Nike slogan, just do it. Once you have found what works for you and your diet don't think too much on it, just go and make it happen. Make small changes that make huge impacts over time Changing your diet and adding fitness into your life shouldn't feel like a burden, it should feel good, and if it feels any thing else you may want to reevaluate what you're doing and how you could possibly change it.
These are meant to be steps forward into life, that's a big deal, don't focus on weight more than what you put into your body.

As always, I'm here for anyone interested. I'm not an expert, but I can help where I feel confident any time. This is my passion, and it is literally life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment