Sunday, December 1, 2013

Let No One Separate.

I'm not too good at keeping this up, huh? Surprisingly this has been the best I've ever kept up with a blog so far, it's mostly because of the devotions/bible studies I do in them.

Thanksgiving was really nice, getting to see family (and getting time and a half :p) were great. It's also kind of a monumental holiday, it's when I first met all of Walker's family. Me being me, I had to take a comparison photo of last year and this year.
It feels like our faces have matured so much (and everyone says I look taller...if only!). It probably has to do with the fact we're definitely more relaxed in the second picture. 

You know, living together really changes everything. I'm hoping this doesn't sound wrong, but it's the best way I can say it. If I have learned anything as to why it's important to wait until your married to live together I think it's mostly because you then have more of a commitment, more of a "reason" to stay in the hard times. I think it is so easy to leave someone while dating without giving the relationship a real chance. Living together challenges the relationship a lot, you have to learn how to work together and to find a way to make time together special still. 

Now please don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I love Walker to death, but yes we do fight. It happens, and fights generally make you and your relationship stronger. But it's those little annoyances, you know? Where if you don't resolve them they just build up and then you argue about dishes whenever there may be an underlying cause. What I'm trying to say is it's a lot easier to fight/argue when you're around someone  24/7. I'm just as guilty as Walker is in these circumstances, and that's a hard pill to swallow. No one likes being told that they're making the one they love most mad or annoyed. I never intend to annoy Walker, but I know if I had to be around myself all the time I would undoubtedly become the same way.

I bet you can't guess the next word I'm going to use...
Balance. Balance is everything in a relationship. You have to know the balance between getting your point across and drilling someone over something as simple as cleaning the stove. There's also balance in the ability to come home and say no phones, no games, just us. Think of how life is before you move in, you have to make the time together when suddenly there's all of this time and it's so wonderful at first...then you want to check facebook/twitter/pinterest/etc. and he wants to play a new video game for a little bit. When a little bit becomes all day/night and you've hardly spent time together that's when you know you need to set those things to the side and remember each other.

Simply put, you take each other  for granted once you live together. I mean, you take your parents for granted, right? You forget how important time is with them, and how important it is to let the little things go. I will say I think living together before marriage is very challenging...I mean EXTREMELY challenging. I don't necessarily say you should or you shouldn't, I think that's every person's own decision. Is it looked down upon, yes, and I know that. But I will end with this, you never really know a person (or how much they love you) until you come home to them every single day.

A relationship is nothing but hard work, never forget that. Don't become lazy or complacent in it. It's special, and it's the rest of your life if you're engaged/married. Cherish it and grow it.

Mark 10:1-31

Divorce

"'Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.'" Mark 10:9

I'd like to let y'all know that I had not even looked at Mark 10 and what it entailed until right now, after typing out all of that about relationships. Crazy right? So stinking crazy how God relates what you are talking about/need advice with through the word. In this Jesus talks of divorce and how it should not happen, that it only happens when hearts become hard. 

Remember all that you give at the beginning of the relationship, how you just want them to like you? Why does that alter whenever you have them? It's a part of your heart hardening to the specialness of the relationship. It doesn't just happen with significant others, but friends and family as well. Always show your love to others, especially those you appreciate most.

Things are not going to be flawless, people mess you, I mess up, you mess up, everyone messes up. Hard times make for a stronger person and bond. Working through them is just a part of it. 

The Little Children and Jesus

"'Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.'" Mark 10:15.

Think about that. That really makes me think about my relationship with God. I try so hard to be mature and understand it, but how would a child take it? They would be in awe, they would talk about it, and be excited. I need to take time aside to just be happy you know? I'm saved, God isn't always necessarily showing me something I have to read into, but that He loves me and I need to celebrate that more often.

The Rich and the Kingdom of God

"'But many who are first will be last, and the last first.'" Mark 10:31

How challenging is it to realize that your status here doesn't really matter? Instead of working to be the best at work, we should work to please God. I'm guilty of not always doing that, and I get wrapped up in activities that bring out the worst in me just so I can be "best."

That isn't what God wants. Work always to please God, not others.

No comments:

Post a Comment