Monday, September 16, 2013

Taking Responsibility.

So the other day I was watching a sermon from the oaks online (if you'd like to watch click here). It's all about putting yourself first and your plans ahead of God's. It shows the consequences and uncertainty that come with decision making like that, and I could relate to them easier than I'd like to admit. 
The thing that stuck out to me the most is how quickly we are to blame others for our problems. When you know someone loves you unconditionally it's easy to take things out on them and find a way to throw the blame onto them rather than ourselves. 
First example is my parents (I think almost every teen does this), you blame your attitude on their genetics when it's up to you to change them. Take responsibility for who you are and start growing to the person you want to be if you aren't happy. 
The second example is your significant other, for me Walker. I cannot tell you how good I am at finding a way to get the fault off of me and back onto him in the midst of an argument. I'm not proud of this, it's something I really don't like about myself. But I also don't like to be wrong. Seeing Walker hurt and knowing it's my fault should be enough for me to try and change this nasty trait before it becomes a really big issue for us. He's just so forgiving and kind and he'll take the blame even if it isn't his. I am so lucky to have someone like him, but I shouldn't take advantage of that.
In the end, we really just have to realize we have control over ourselves and God has control over the circumstance. If God's got it all figured out we should stop focusing on changing our lives but instead ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment