Thursday, November 14, 2013

Genuine Prayer.

Do you ever have one of those days where you've unfortunately woken up on the wrong side of the bed? I did yesterday, all day I was easily irritable and wanted space and sleep. I'd pray, but looking back now I really don't feel that it was genuine, meaning even in prayer I was annoyed. I feel like it's normal to have days like this, but what I tend to do is sink into them rather than fight them. Imagine the amount of personal strength it requires to get past this.

Mark 5:21-42

Jesus Raises a Dead Girl and Heals a Sick Woman

"Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, 'Don't be afraid; just believe.'" Mark 5:36

Again we see crowds around Jesus asking, begging, for help. A man from the synagogue named Jairus approached him to ask him to help his sick daughter. Along the way there people are crowding and I'm sure asking more favors.

Then we hear about a sick woman that had been bleeding for hours straight. She believed strong enough that doing something as simple as touch Jesus' clothes might heal her, and they did. To realize the importance of this the disciples mention to Jesus that tons of people are brushing up against him, but there was something different about this. This woman believed in Jesus enough to make the miracle happen. That's huge. So many times in my day I let worry take over and doubt Jesus' abilities like most of the people in the crowd. To relate it to my  text before the bible study, I pray and ask, but I'm either still in the negativity or scared, and so I don't receive. Whenever you pray your heart should be full of trust and thanks for God. That's how miracles happen, and that's how your days change.

Once Jesus gets to the little girl she is announced dead. That's where verse 36 is said, and I really really loved it. He was saying it to Jairus, the father, to calm him once she had died to everyone else. Jesus raised the young girl and immediately she started walking around. But, he told them to not tell anyone of this, only to take care of the girl.

I think that's one thing I don't understand. Why sometimes Jesus tells them to go and tell others or to stay quiet. In all circumstances I could see reasoning for either way, but why is it not consistent?

Anyways, this has been a nice read. I'm definitely going to be praying for a better day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment