Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Needs of Others.

Sorry for the lack of posting. Doing these bible studies require time to sit down by myself and really think about God and listen to him. I haven't really had that time the past couple of days, Monday being mine and Walker's anniversary, then Tuesday I opened and about an hour later went and volunteered at the Feast of Sharing. If you don't know what that is, it's an even HEB puts on for people that don't have much in their lives, that may not even get a thanksgiving meal.

My job there was to serve drinks, which was really REALLY hard because people (HEB people or people attending the event) would come up and just take the drinks before we could even get to the people sitting. Needless to say, that was irritating, but when we could finally get to the people it became highly rewarding.

Not everyone was thankful with this gift though. There were some people who just took and took and took, or others that just didn't want what we had to offer and were mad about it. That irritated me. I feel bad for letting that irritate me, and my judgmental side came out in full force. I think the good definitely weighed out the bad, but I think everyone would agree it's highly discouraging whenever you're trying to help someone and they either take too much or push you away.

But that's life. You can apply that to the people who you are surrounded by each and every day.

This is our group (or most of it at least) that came from my store. These people make work fun, make volunteering fun, and in general make what could be the worst part of my life the best. And I'm so very thankful for them. God has surrounded me with good people.

Mark 5:1-20

Jesus Restores a Demon-Possessed Man

Isn't that crazy, the title? The fascination my generation seems to have with demons and what they can do is huge, just look at almost all of the horror movie topics, but in Jesus' time this happened a lot. So far into Mark how many times has it been mentioned, and it's only chapter 5. That's just mind boggling to me..that the thing that is so blown up and almost popular now was a serious problem beforehand.

I think the saddest part of this is that the people get terrified of Jesus, even going to a point of asking him to leave. Jesus removed the demon from the man, placed that demon and more into pigs, and they killed themselves. That is what terrified the people, and they simply forgot about the fact that he had saved the man that was right in front of them. 

Maybe I can apply this to yesterday..seeing how my team was helping people, but some of the attenders forgot about that and just wanted all that we could give. But Jesus listened to them, left when they wanted him to, and none of these people asked or wanted us to leave, they all did appreciate it, maybe some just needed it more than others. I can't imagine needing something like food. It's been given to me, or I've been able to buy it myself my whole life. What a terrifying life that must be, and when they are given it who knows what goes through their head. 

All in all, no matter how they acted, at least those people left full and hopefully with a smile on their face. Isn't it crazy how much a Bible study can affect you and your outlook. Now I wish I had made time for this yesterday before I went to the Feast of Sharing. Maybe my heart would of been a little more open to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment