Friday, November 1, 2013

Fishers of Men.

Hello everyone! After finishing Galatians I was a little stuck on what to read next, so I took a few days off...which I don't recommend, but today I just wanted to read something from the Bible so badly. I googled what to read when starting the Bible, even though I'm not really starting it's a good idea to read something like that for advice on where to go, and it recommended Mark. I don't think I've ever really read Mark, so I was excited to start.

Mark 1 has 45 verses, so I'm splitting the chapter into two.

Mark 1:1-28

John the Baptist Prepares the Way (Mark 1:1-8)

I like this little bit about John, especially for someone like me who hasn't read too much of the Bible, it gives knowledge on how Baptism started. I think the thing I admire most of him isn't necessarily him baptizing others, but the humbleness he has. He's doing such a fantastic thing, but he doesn't boast on himself. He still tells others of Jesus and how his baptizing can be even greater. That's a hard thing to do when you're given a big task and become well known for it, but it's part of the submission and humbleness that comes along with following Jesus.

The Baptism and Testing of Jesus (Mark 1:9-12)

This part of this chapter gives insight to what the process of baptism is, and what it felt like to Jesus. How cool is that? We get to find out the feelings Jesus had while being baptized in the Jordan. Verse 11 really warms my heart, "And a voice came from heaven: 'You are my Son, whom I love, with you I am well pleased.'" That's just so awesome, and I'd like to think when people get baptized with love for Jesus in their heart God says that about us as well.

Jesus Announces the Good News (Mark 1:14-15)

I think this is really just an awesome reminder that we should be sharing the good news to people. I'm so scared to in daily work, but the awesome thing about it is is once you live humbly and love others, peoplle start to ask you questions about yourself and why you are this way. That's my way of sharing, but I eventually would like to become more bold in what I believe. That's a big goal of mine.

Jesus Calls His First Disciples (Mark 1:16-20)

This is where I got the title for my post. I remember this passage being talked about in church one day, and how deeply we got into the "fishers of men" concept and how Simon and Andrew dropped everything to follow God. That is so inspirational, to just drop everything and know God has you. That confidence in Him provides abilities and strengths we never could of imagined in ourselves.

Jesus Drives Out an Impure Spirit (Mark 1:21-28)

This is the first miracle we see/hear of Jesus doing. Everyone is in awe of him casting out the impure spirit of the person in the crowd. Essentially it gave belief to any nonbelievers, who could deny the awesomeness that they just saw, and the savior that stood in front of them?

On a side note, yesterday was Halloween and we got to dress up at work! Me and Walker are slightly obsessed with the show The Office and dressed up as the awesome couple Jim and Pam. I'm pretty proud of how well we pulled it off and we got a lot of compliments on the great job we did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment