Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Glorification of Busy.

I saw this image today and it really caught my eye and forced me to think about it. If you haven't caught on from reading blogs, I like to think deeply about a lot of things haha. But really, think of the word busy. We use it so often to describe our lives, in fact among my friends it's probably one of the highest words they use when I ask them how they are. But busy is a choice that can become a lifestyle, and getting stuck there is probably one of the worst feelings we as humans can have. The view of busy is different to everyone meaning everyone has their own idea of busy. Some may take my daily tasks as nothing compared to theirs, or some may take mine and feel overwhelmed. But "busy" is something we have complete control over. Just as we schedule time with friends, with work, and school, we have to schedule time for ourselves by ourselves doing whatever helps us relax. 

My age (20) seems to have a really hard time with this because we are transitioning into adulthood and every new thing added on is "just a part of it." Why isn't making time for ourselves a part of it? Too much of that comes across as lazy, but what if at that point in their lives that's what that person needs. 

God doesn't intend for us to be overwhelmed. I think whenever  that feeling comes we should really set time aside and pray for it specifically, if there's something we need to tone down, or if it is meant to be in our lives then for the ability to take it and feel equipped to handle it. Never busy, but occupied, engaged, or full of activity. Turn your perception around and take a break every now and then. It's healthy.

Mark 8:1-21

Jesus Feeds the Four Thousand

Jesus had been preaching to a large group for about three days, but had compassion on them and realized if they left and went home some would not make it. Again we see a miracle from Jesus where he made 7 loaves of bread last for all, even with leftovers.

The most interesting part of this to me is the part where we hear of the Pharisees asking for a sign from Heaven. "He sighed deeply and said, 'Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to it.'" Mark 8:11. Whenever my friends talk to me about their prayers so many of them tell me they ask for a sign. I'm guilty as well of this, because think...what does a sign really do? It doesn't necessarily guide you or give you what you need. You can take almost anything as a sign if you read into it enough. Instead I will now encourage my friends to pray for something that seems as simple as asking Jesus to move in them and make the change inside of them. Focusing too much on what's going on around you, looking deeply for a "sign" can get you off track of looking for Jesus in yourself.

The Yeast of the Pharisees and Herod

Isn't it funny how we sit and wonder how things are going to work out? I can get so worked up wondering how people feel about me, how my life is going to change, and how in general I'm going to take on the tasks in front of me. The disciples struggled with this too, even with Jesus right in front of them working miracles nearly daily. When they start worrying about their own bread supply Jesus reminds them of how when he fed the large groups there was plenty and even more left over. One of my favorite worship songs is Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) by Hillsong United, one of the lyrics being "You've never failed and you won't start now." I hope I can remember this whenever life gets tough and I feel lost. God always provides in his perfect timing. All of my past struggles have taught me things so I can be better in the future with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment